Saturday, April 28, 2007

Urban Decay...







Yesterday, my hubby and I and our friend Ben went to Brantford to tranfer the ownership of my mom's old car to Ben - who is now the proud owner of a Dodge Spirit! Afterwards, we had some great Thai food at a restaurant on Colbourne St. called My Thai - check them out! Awesome food - atmosphere is a bit weird (the place used to be an old Irish Pub) and it sits in the middle of the desolation of downtown Brantford. But really tasty dishes for those of you feeling slightly adventurous! (and they have locations in Hamilton, Burlington and Ancaster, too!)

Brantford was obviously a booming and vibrant downtown years ago, with many incredible buildings! Lots of great architecture! It is really sad to see what the "progress" of shopping malls and suburbia has done to this town and so many others. I was happy to note, though, that there is quite a bit of construction going on for housing in this area. And artists co-ops and the like...same thing seems to be happening in Hamilton (my home town!) and I am so glad to see it. The artists will save the day in the end!

Ben is doing some modelling for an agency in Ontario and wanted some photos done. We did a bunch of headshots later on at our home studio - but first we crawled around (sometimes literally!) amongst the cigarette butts and discarded refuse of this part of Brantford, and found some fabulous places to snap some shots. All I can say is...we found the most amazing, ancient brick wall I have ever seen: flaky and rotting, mortar oozing out everywhere, the odd screw painted bright blue and sticking out here and there, plaster barely hanging on, and some intriguing messages spray painted for us to ponder. I just love old bricks and rusted pipes and crackling, peeling paint - turns out Ben does to! This juxtaposition of man and nature appeals to both of us! Another quirky reason why we 'click' as friends!

No comments: