Thursday, April 5, 2007

Get behind the 'POWER' of the wind!

So...I didn't go to bed!

In my quest to 'connect' with you, I think I should let you know about some of my convictions... you know: causes - things about which I am passionate.

An interesting story in last week's edition of The Regional News This Week (out of Caledonia, Ontario). The headline reads:

LARGE DELEGATION SAYS NO TO WIND TURBINES
Decision to permit 'green' electricity generators gets deferred


At the recent County Council meeting, a delegation spoke on the 'dangers' of wind farms - worrying that the 400 foot 'monsters' as they were referred to by these people, could cause death (no kidding), destruction and general disturbance to their lives.

Of the 15 people who were permitted to speak to this Ontario county Council, most were seasonal residents with cottages close to the proposed wind farm site.

Call me crazy...but I am thinking that in this day and age of global warming, Wind Power Generation might just be a good thing! Look at what it says in the photo of the sign, above, (taken at one of the Bruce Peninsula sites): "Each turbine provides the annual electrical energy needs of more than 600 homes". The ANNUAL energy!! Couple that with each of us working to REDUCE our personal annual consumption and we might just be on to something here!!


My husband and I first saw these modern-day windmills on our honeymoon in Holland nearly 12 years ago. While not as 'fairytale-like' in comparison to their ancient counterparts, their stark profile has an almost elegant beauty along the landscape.

Last summer we drove an hour out of our way on holiday, just so we could see the Wind Farms along the Bruce Peninsula. (That's my hubby in the photo on the left!) These turbines, and the ones on the Norfolk County Wind Farms, have been erected by AIM PowerGen Corporation. We have friends who have some of the turbines on their land near Port Burwell - not only do they not mind the turbines, they fully support the project and promote this practical form of energy at every chance they get.


If I had my choice, I would welcome a turbine to be placed on my property. To anyone who might be worried about the change to their physical landscape due to wind turbine placement, I say this: think sustainable future, think about a planet worth inhabiting for your children, and their children and their children...bottom line: Think WE and not so much ME.

And to quote good ol' Bob Dylan:
The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind, the answer is blowin' in the wind...

~Sara

No comments: